[ExI] Moon Treaty

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 23:16:49 UTC 2020

40 years ago I was head of the L5 Society committee that defeated the
Moon Treaty.  What our lawyer did was to get every member of the
Senate Foreign Relations Committee to sign letters to the Secretary of
State saying what a bad idea the Moon Treaty was.

A couple of hours ago, this showed up in my email.

BREAKING NEWS: The Trump administration has just repudiated the Moon
Treaty. The Executive Order of

April 6 states that "The Secretary of State shall object to any
attempt by any other state or international organization to treat the
Moon Agreement as reflecting or otherwise expressing customary
international law." In doing so, the administration has chosen the
path of dominance over the
path of cooperation. As VP Pence stated in 2018, "Space is a
warfighting domain. It is not enough to have an American presence in
space. We must have American dominance in space. Full order at
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/
executive-order-encouraging-international-support-recovery-use-space-resources/.

If by some chance you want to see what Arel and I wrote about the
treaty in 1982, it's here:

https://www.unz.com/print/Reason-1982aug-00033

It's very strange to have this ancient episode still banging about.

Keith