[ExI] ccp struggles

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 23:44:46 UTC 2020

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 at 07:55, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> > *On Behalf Of *Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] ccp struggles
>

> On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 at 06:25, spike jones via extropy-chat <
>

> If the virus really does slay as many proles in China as I think it is
> going
> to, those 1.4 billion proles may decide they don't want this anymore.  They
> want freedom of speech, they want the right to bear arms, they want the
> kinds of freedoms Americans have taken for granted since forever.  Do let
> us
> hope.
>

> >…Do not conflate free speech with “the right to bear arms”. The latter is
> a peculiarly American idea. The rest of the world for the most part thinks
> it’s crazy.
>
> --
>
> Stathis Papaioannou
>

> Stathis, without the right to bear arms, the people have no rights at all,
> but rather only a list of grudging permissions which may be taken away at
> the government’s whim.
>

> There are Americans who will argue Americans’ civil rights can be
> rescinded at the government’s whim, but those will all have a common
> characteristic: they have not exercised their right to be armed.

Even in America, the right to bear arms is not accompanied by a right to
shoot Government officials if you disagree with them, which is what would
be needed. The arms can be legally used by citizens for hunting, target
practice and self-defence, and illegally used for homicide or rebellion.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou