[ExI] pangolin?

robot at ultimax.com robot at ultimax.com
Thu Apr 16 20:22:18 UTC 2020

First, you should know that *every* infectious disease of mankind
ultimately originated inside some other animal.  This is called
/zoonosis/.  Every one.  This phenomenon is at least as old as the
domestication of animals (which is way older than agriculture), and may
go all the way back to our hunter-gatherer origins.

Secondly, like I said, it's not DNA, it's RNA.  *Whole* different kettle
of fish.  A single helix (RNA) doesn't have error correction like a
double helix, that's a big part of the problem.  RNA virii mutate like
crazy compared to DNA ones.

Third, in answer to your scenario, Spike, no, not something simple like
just eating.  Not by an oral route.  SARS-CoV-2 is a wimpy virus, so
stomach acid would kill it immediately.  Hell, *soap* kills it
*instantly*.

Fourth, yes.  In my original post, I posited a "crossover event" that
happened within a living liquid milieu.  The bat virus's genome got a
contribution from a virus belonging to some other creature.  The result
is still predominantly bat, but now supplemented with additional
non-bat-origin
functionality making it even deadlier.  That's what I meant by /in vivo/
(inside a living cell) or /in vitro/ (technically means, "within glass"
but functionally means, "in a laboratory").

We know for a fact that crossover events happen.  H1N1 is an example.
It started in birds (ducks) and then crossed over to swine (pigs).  As
everybody knows, ducks and pigs live cheek by jowl in SE Asia.  Once
something's in pigs, it's a very small jump to us.  I think most of you
are aware of how much pigs are used in bio-research as analogues for
humans.  And, speaking of cheek by jowl, it seems unwise to put a
bio-lab a stone's throw from a wet market.  If it was me, I'd put all
such activity in the middle of the Sahara, or the Gobi Desert, or
whatever.  An asteroid once that becomes available.

The part of the question I have no feel for yet is, could this have
happened "naturally" (without malignant intent) due to simple stupidity
/ bad luck / bad practice.  Like one very unlucky sloppy worker with no
safety culture in a milieu of retribution for bringing up a problem,
managed to get him/herself infected by two different pathogens at once.
Once a virion manages to unlock a passage thru cell walls (that's what
the ACE2 receptor is) it sheds its protective outer sheath, opening the
RNA directly to the cell's fluids.  If a different virion happened to do
that at the same time, then two naked strands of genetic material could
have had themselves a wet party.

Remember what Napoleon is said to have said:
"Never attribute to malevolence what can be explained by stupidity."

Or there's a wonderful line that I never forgot in the TV thriller /The
Americans/ in which the "science attache" Oleg (same actor who
portraying the GRU officer in the current season of /Homeland/) says to
the FBI guy Stan:
"I graduated from Moscow Bauman Technical Institute." (The Russkiis' top
STEM school, hands down.)
"We have the best scientists on Earth."  (I won't argue.)
"But we have no money, very little resources." (Also true, and still is
in the civil space arena, just about.)
"It's a bad combination." (Meaning that brilliant people with limited
resources are going to try some crazy things to keep up with the
competition.  I can absolutely attest to this.)

K3