[ExI] More deaths from COVID-19 than Afghanistan and Iraq wars combined

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Apr 17 01:14:10 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 5:26 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] More deaths from COVID-19 than Afghanistan and Iraq wars combined

--

Stathis Papaioannou

Give?  Everyone already HAS access to the virus, way more than we want.  What are you suggesting we give anyone?

--

Stathis Papaioannou

Stathis, this is a weird tangent about police.  The militia isn’t about the police or fighting the army or any of that.  That isn’t what the second amendment is about.  The police, the militia and the army are all allies.  We are all on the same side: protecting the security of the free state.  We are not rednecks or stupid.  We aren’t from any particular state.  We are all beneath the contempt of some, but no worries, we are here to protect them as well.

The army and law enforcement are professionals.  The militia is citizen volunteers.  In the scenario where the militia is necessary to the security of a free state, there is no army or police, for the government cannot pay them.  If the government cannot pay the police, they go into other professions.

I notice a common notion among those who do not believe that a militia is necessary to the security of the free state: they cannot fathom a situation where the government cannot pay the soldiers and police.  They cannot understand how a government would not be able to pay.  That isn’t the least bit difficult for me to imagine, and hasn’t been for decades.

Now it must be far easier to envision. What if… we try to re-open the economy, but every time we do, there is a massive new outbreak, resulting in a new lockdown?  And what if that continues?  For months?  What if longer than that?  Then businesses fail in unison.  Tax revenues dwindle to nearly nothing.  Is that difficult to imagine?

In that scenario, the militia would defend against those who would use weapons of mass destruction such as a virus.

Please, what part of that horrifying scenario is hard to envision?