[ExI] prisons

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 02:49:57 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 7:11 PM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 9:58 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <
>
>> On Apr 16, 2020, at 5:30 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <
>> extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote
>>
>> ### I actually agree with you that keeping serial burglars in prison is a
>> poor solution to the problem. My inclination would be to just kill them.
>>

>> Which would result in, no doubt, many cases of serial burglars becoming
>> more violent. In other words, likely a case of the cure being worse than
>> the disease.
>>

> ### A increased threat of being killed (by homeowners indemnified for
> shooting invaders, or by automated security devices, or by constables
> identifying you from security or traffic camera footage or by the hangman
> after a quick trial) would be an inducement to commit more violence, rather
> than back down?
>
> How would that inducement to violence work, precisely?

Destroy the cameras and kill all witnesses.  It's one thing if they're just
going to jail, but if they will probably die if they leave anyone or
anything that would recognize them, the cost of such destruction becomes
worth it in more cases.