[ExI] Why farmers?

Bill Hibbard hibbard at wisc.edu
Sat Apr 18 13:49:17 UTC 2020

Keith Henson wrote:
> Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why don't the coastal elites move to Kansas and become farmers?
> Because it sucks. Those votes are the prize for being farm slaves
> for the entire country. Not worth it in my opinion, and most people
> I know agree.

A family farm is a wonderful life for those willing to
work hard, but economies of scale are killing small
farms. As Earl Butz, Nixon's Sec'y of Ag, said to
farmers, "Get big or get out." Wife (MD horse owner) and
self (PhD Comp Sci) are becoming more typical of modern
farm owners. We lease most of our land to real farmers,
who could never be confused with coastal elites. No doubt
some coastal elites own stock in the agribusinesses that
are the new reality of farming.

Part of our house was built in the 19th century and an
old outhouse still stands, it's pit filled in. Imagine
using it on an old fashioned -30F Wisconsin winter night.
By the way, Butz was forced to resign after saying that
"coloreds" only wanted three things: tight pussy, loose
shoes and a warm place to shit. Won't find the latter
on a 19th century WI farm.