[ExI] shops opening

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Apr 20 15:56:06 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] shops opening

>…  The numbers, while tragic, are still within the range of a bad flu season in the US and growth is slowing…  Dylan

Hi Dylan,

The range of numbers should be telling us something important.

I used to travel to New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Jersey a lot for business.  The biggest difference in those states is they all use mass transit a lot and their cities are very tightly packed, even more so than western US cities generally.  I don’t know about Louisiana, never went there on business or for any other reason.  I don’t know why their numbers are so high.  Mardi Gras?

When the quarantine started last month, they wanted people to stay home, but public transit continued.  The three states I know about all kept their public transit going while packing people into homes.  It could be that the strategy is wrong: they shoulda stopped mass transit and encouraged people to get out of homes where a new risk is one resident can infect all the residents, as we are seeing in nursing homes.

These numbers are stunning:

Reported cases and deaths

The figures below are based on data from the  <https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html> Johns Hopkins University Center for Systems Science and Engineering. These numbers are updated every 15 minutes but may differ from other sources due to differences in reporting times. For up-to-the-minute updates,  <https://cnn.com/coronavirus-latest> follow our live coverage.

Cases

…per 100K residents

Deaths

…per 100K residents

New York

248,431

1,277

18,298

94

New Jersey

85,301

960

4,362

49

Massachusetts

38,077

552

1,706

25

Pennsylvania

32,991

258

1,276

10

California

31,531

80

1,180

3

Michigan

31,424

315

2,391

24

Illinois

30,357

240

1,290

10

Florida

26,314

123

774

4

Louisiana

23,928

515

1,296

28

Texas

19,411

67

500

2

Georgia

18,489

174

689

6

Connecticut

17,962

504

1,127

32

Maryland

12,847

212

461

8

Washington

12,025

158

634

8

Ohio

11,602

99

471

4

Indiana

11,211

167

562

8

Colorado

9,730

169

420

7

Virginia

8,669

102

277

3

Tennessee

7,070

104

148

2

North Carolina

6,621

63

200

2

Missouri

5,807

95

199

3

Arizona

4,933

68

184

3

Alabama

4,923

100

164

3

Rhode Island

4,706

444

150

14

South Carolina

4,377

85

120

2

Wisconsin

4,346

75

220

4

Mississippi

4,274

144

159

5

Nevada

3,728

121

158

5

Utah

3,069

96

27

< 1

Kentucky

2,960

66

148

3

District of Columbia

2,927

415

105

15

Iowa

2,902

92

75

2

Oklahoma

2,599

66

140

4

Delaware

2,538

261

67

7

Minnesota

2,356

42

134

2

Kansas

1,948

67

95

3

Oregon

1,910

45

74

2

Arkansas

1,853

61

41

1

New Mexico

1,845

88

55

3

Idaho

1,672

94

44

2

South Dakota

1,635

185

7

< 1

Nebraska

1,474

76

28

1

New Hampshire

1,390

102

41

3

Puerto Rico

1,252

39

63

2

West Virginia

890

50

20

1

Maine

867

64

34

3

Vermont

813

130

38

6

North Dakota

585

77

9

1

Hawaii

580

41

10

< 1

Montana

433

41

10

< 1

Alaska

319

44

9

1

Wyoming

313

54

2

< 1

Guam

136

	5

US Virgin Islands

53

	3

Northern Mariana Islands

14

	2

Repatriations

152

	0

I am assuming all countries have something analogous to US states, provinces or some means of distributing political power.  So they should have numbers like this somewhere, ja?