[ExI] shops opening

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 16:21:36 UTC 2020

Spike-

A timely piece to your point:
The Subways Seeded the Massive Coronavirus Epidemic in New York City
Jeffrey E. Harris
NBER Working Paper No. 27021
Issued in April 2020
NBER Program(s):Health Economics
New York City’s multitentacled subway system was a major disseminator – if
not the principal transmission vehicle – of coronavirus infection during
the initial takeoff of the massive epidemic that became evident throughout
the city during March 2020. The near shutoff of subway ridership in
Manhattan – down by over 90 percent at the end of March – correlates
strongly with the substantial increase in the doubling time of new cases in
this borough. Maps of subway station turnstile entries, superimposed upon
zip code-level maps of reported coronavirus incidence, are strongly
consistent with subway-facilitated disease propagation. Local train lines
appear to have a higher propensity to transmit infection than express
lines. Reciprocal seeding of infection appears to be the best explanation
for the emergence of a single hotspot in Midtown West in Manhattan. Bus
hubs may have served as secondary transmission routes out to the periphery
of the city.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w2702

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:57 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <