[ExI] shops opening

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 18:51:57 UTC 2020

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 1:34 PM Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat <

>>Yes it's new, nobody has seen anything like it before so our knowledge of
>> it is slight.
>>

> I*t's not true that we haven't seen anything like it.   It appears to be
> another coronavirus similar to SARS*

They're both coronaviruses but squirrels  and whales are both mammals. The
genetic differences between COVID-19 and SARS is far greater than the
difference between last years mild seasonal flu and the 1918 Spanish flu
that killed tens of millions.

> *I'm not pessimistic about a vaccine, John, but I'm not optimistic about
> one either.  Coronavirus vaccines are not an easy task even if you assume
> that there is a stable antigenic target.  *

 A Phase 1 clinical trial of a COVID-19 vaccine started on March 16, and
there will be lots more, the amount of resources poured into finding a
vaccine for this thing and finding it fast is unprecedented .

NIH Clinical Trial of a Vaccine for COVID-19
<https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/nih-clinical-trial-vaccine-covid-19-now-enrolling-older-adults>

John K Clark