[ExI] chameleon tree

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Apr 23 17:35:44 UTC 2020

This note is for the amateur naturalists among us.

I have two lace leaf maples in my back yard, a green one and a red one.  The
green one was crowding the red, so I decided reluctantly to take it out.
The red one is a trophy.

I started to trim from the outside in, but stopped when I saw something
astonishing.  The branch I am pointing to was perfectly green.  I had
assumed it to be part of the green tree, but I traced the branch back to the
red tree.

The green tree is over on the far left of this photo with the slightly
broader leaves.  Almost all the foliage in this photo including the part I
am pointing to, is connected to the red lace leaf.

Cool!