[ExI] psychology

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Apr 24 17:47:49 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Ben
Zaiboc via extropy-chat

>.The 'forgiveness of sins' assumes that 'sin' actually means anything real,
and to atheists, I should think it doesn't, seeing as how the term relates
to the concept of a god. If you don't believe in gods, you don't think 'sin'
is a meaningful term.

--
Ben Zaiboc

Hi Ben, on the contrary sir, the concept of sin survives religion, certainly
in my mind it does.  There are things I regret having done and said in my
life, and I see it perfectly appropriate to call these things my sins.

There are those who argue the point: without god you have no concept of sin
and no conscience.  I have always disputed that notion.

As a fun aside.  the more rigorous religions have a task ahead of them.  To
create and maintain a market for their product, they not only need to make
the believers feel guilty for their sins, there are plenty of cases where
they must make the young believer feel guilty for sins they didn't actually
do.

Hilarity ensues.

I will let you ponder that if you wish, and offer an example if you want it.