[ExI] texas county judge demands residents wear bananas

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 20:38:49 UTC 2020

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 1:23 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <

> On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 at 05:54, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <
>
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 11:52 AM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <
>>
>>> Is there anywhere in the US where an atheist who simply ignored anything
>>> to do with religion (which describes most atheists) would be noticed and
>>> frowned upon?
>>>

>> Yes, mostly in the South.  I stay away from those places.  (Theoretically
>> I might visit for work, but if so I would keep my interactions strictly to
>> the work-related area - which would likely be protected by police biased
>> toward those there to do the work.)
>>
>> Even in California, I have received death threats after I explained to an
>> evangelist, who was trying to get me personally to convert, that I was an
>> atheist, though this was some decades ago and atypical for the region.
>>

> I imagine you would attract attention if you announced that you were an
> atheist, but if you lived and worked in the South and just never mentioned
> religion, or politely smiled and moved to the next topic when someone else
> did, would you be OK?

For a while, yes.  (Thus my being willing to attend, say, a week-long
conference.)

The problem comes when you run into folks who don't let you move on, who
insist on talking religion and finding out whether you are a believer or if
you are one of the "enemy" who they think that punishing publicly will let
them gain, or stay in, control of their community.