[ExI] No gods, no meaning?

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 18:16:06 UTC 2020

On Sunday, April 26, 2020, John Clark via extropy-chat <

> On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:35 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <
>
> >> I'm not sure what "divine union" means
>>>

>> > *I mean Open Individualism
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_individualism>. The idea that there is
>> only one mind, and we are each a part of it.*
>>

> How would things be different if it wasn't true and there was more than
> one mind? If there was only one I should always know what you're thinking,
> but I don't.

If it weren't true that you were everyone, the odds of ever being born
would be infinitesimally low. Zuboff explains the statistics in his
"Oneself" paper.

Actually, it turns out that all anthropic reasoning implicitly assumes open
individualism; you can't make probabilistic statements concerning observers
if you reject it.

Finally, it is also the simplest theory consistent with the facts that
answers survival questions like split brains, faulty transporters,
consciousness mergers, duplications, clones, etc. The psychological and
physiological continuity theories each have their breaking points which
leads to absurdities.

Jason