[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 199, Issue 71

Re Rose rocket at earthlight.com
Thu Apr 30 11:39:51 UTC 2020

Nice comment Rafal, your post clarified what I glossed over - thank you!
 :)

I posited that systems tend to increase in complexity, but as you correctly
point out a biological system is not defined solely at the orgainismal
level (such as, yes, poor little male barnacles, eyeless cave fish and
toads, and even at the organ level such as the appendix, or at the DNA
level such as in acumulation of some of the "junk" DNA, etc) but also at
the ecosystem level. Individual orgamisims can and do adapt by simplifying,
as often this is biologically "cheaper" and thus advantagous locally (to
the organisim itself).

One of my favorite examples of this loss-of-function happening at the
biomoleular level is the Biebricher et al series of papers on Q-beta
replicase, a viral RNA-replicating enzyme that, when put into an
undemanding (i.e., nutrient rich, with no need to infect other cells to
reproduce), loses much of its structure due to a rapid loss of sequence
information as it undergoes multiple cycles of replication, as the
structural function (for replication) is no longer needed. I thnk its
fascinating that this enzyme loses so much information so fast - such is
the power of evolutionary adaptation!

best,
Regina

Message: 6