[ExI] the "humble Conex" box (was Re: Sharpiegate)

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 13:30:40 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 6:05 PM Keith Henson via extropy-chat <

*> In the first edition of "Where To?" in 1950 Robert A Heinlein wrote
> something like "there is some device, new but seemingly humble, that will
> change the world.  We just don't know which."  At the time he thought it
> was the transistor but by the time of the second edition in 1965, he
> dismissed that as a trivial*

Heinlein was brilliant to predict that in 1950 and a fool to dismiss it in
1965. Imagine how the world would be different if today we had no better
way to control the flow of electrons than with a vacuum tube.

John K Clark