[ExI] school ideas, was: RE: next county

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 18:45:17 UTC 2020

Some students should have been left behind circa the 8th or 9th grade.
Shunted into plumbing, carpentry, or just their choice.  Not academically
inclined nor academically gifted.  Good money to be made in those fields.
This would get rid of some parts of the bottom of the curve.

Our stupid state requires algebra to graduate from high school.  Stupid.
No available training for other than academic professions.

Perhaps many of those uninterested are just blown away by 9th grade algebra
and the like.  Not dumb or stupid or just immature - bored with what they
can't understand.  Hard to like something you cannot understand.  I think
we should have a high school 'major' in retail sales.  Lack of that
learning may be in part responsible for all the small retail stores going
under in a few years.  No finance classes in high school.

No, it's not just attitude in those failing to take advantage of online
learning.  Is there any plumbing there?  Carpentry?  (probably so - do they
know that?  Are they ever told that if academics don't suit them here are
these other options?  I doubt it.)

bill w

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 1:32 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <