[ExI] sturgis rolls on

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Aug 8 17:46:26 UTC 2020

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
Subject: sturgis rolls on

>.The annual huge bike rally at Sturgis South Dakota is going forth.  We
science-minded sorts will get some fresh useful data in a coupla weeks from
tens of thousands of mine-canaries on bikes.Good luck bikers. spike

If what I understand about covid is correct, this rally damn sure should be
a super-spreader event:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/08/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-draws-huge-crowd-loc
al-bar/

Much of the event is outdoors, lots of burger grilling and beer swilling,
outdoor picnic style dining, coat and tie not required, just a bit on the
informal side.  But there is also plenty of indoor crowded sports-bar-style
drinking, cheering at the wet T-shirt contest and so forth, but here's the
thing: the authorities can't be blamed.  The Sturgis crowd is coming anyway,
never mind if the rally is cancelled, no matter if it is illegal.  That
crowd gives not a damn what the governor or POTUS or the county sheriff
thinks (they can't arrest a quarter of a million bikers.)

If this rally doesn't cause a big breakout, then I don't understand why.