[ExI] weird tangent

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Aug 13 18:08:00 UTC 2020

On 12/08/2020 20:37, Spike wrote:
> To save the useful meme, I modify it a second time and say “To all,
> their own.”

But Spike, that doesn't work at all. It implies that everyone has the
same 'own', as 'all' is collective. "To each their own" makes explicit
that each person has their (his/her/its) own preference.

But then, I've never seen any problem with 'their' or 'they' to refer to
either multiple or unspecified single individuals. I use it all the
time. If anyone wants to object, well, they can, but I regard it as
their own problem, not mine.

--
Ben Zaiboc