[ExI] England reduces total Covid-19 deaths by 12%

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Aug 15 14:41:18 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark via extropy-chat
Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2020 6:35 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] England reduces total Covid-19 deaths by 12%

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 8:58 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

I’m a COVID-19 long-hauler and an epidemiologist – here’s how it feels when symptoms last for months <https://theconversation.com/im-a-covid-19-long-hauler-and-an-epidemiologist-heres-how-it-feels-when-symptoms-last-for-months-143676>

Covid-19 “long haulers” are organizing online to study themselves <https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/08/12/1006602/covid-19-long-haulers-are-organizing-online-to-study-themselves/>

> Here’s the money quote:  “As a social epidemiologist who deals with big data, I was certain it was a false negative.” Nowhere in that article does the author say she has ever tested positive for covid-19.

In March when she started to get sick the COVID-19 test was really lousy, at least the test used in the USA, and it had a very large false negative. She says "What made matters worse in the beginning was that my doctors were not certain I had COVID-19"; …John K Clark

I am not certain she had covid-19 in the beginning either, nor am I certain now.  I am not her doctor.  Nowhere in the article does it say she was later diagnosed with the disease, nor has ever tested positive for covid-19 and if so, what test was used.  Did she go overseas to get it?  We are told any covid test sold in America cannot be trusted (particularly if it tells you what you don’t already believe (isn’t that how that works?  (a prole must go to Cuba or China to get a reliable covid test?))))

In any case, the symptoms she described do not sound like covid to me.  There are other diseases that do what she describes however.

>…I was diagnosed with a respiratory illness… Witvliet

What if… she had an actual respiratory illness that isn’t covid.  And what if she subsequently convinced herself she had covid-19, then launched a career organizing others with a respiratory illness into a kind sympathetic online social support group in our lonely times of social distancing, and (oops) accidentally created a nice powerful voting bloc?  If these things, then she really has not the option of discovering after the fact she never had covid, nor can even risk taking a nice reliable covid test from the best test kits in the world, made in China or North Korea, for they would risk coming back negative, in which case she would need to tell her following “Never mind, you have a respiratory illness, back to work” etc.  Horrors.

I can imagine doctors get this kind of thing all the time.  We have an actual medical doctor among us who would know, and PhD psychologists who are welcome to jump in at any time.

>…My test was negative and I had no fever, so my symptoms did not fit into early  <https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf> descriptions of the disease. Instead, I was diagnosed with a respiratory illness… Witvliet

Ja.  I had stuff that sound a little like this back in December and January, but I don’t assume it is covid.  Estimate about 10%-20% chance that’s what that was, but there are other strains of the flu which don’t match any of the known ones the tests will detect (the usual flu came back negative (this was before we knew of covid.))  I estimate 80 to 90% chance I had a respiratory illness, but some of the after-effects are still with me today, 8 months later.  Not much point in getting tested now, since any test I could get is sold in the USA, which means I am free to disregard the results.  I will get tested anyway in November at my fiz.

Imagine you are a doctor and have a patient who tests covid negative but insists she has covid and is a long term survivor, an organizer of others who likewise tested positive, and she doesn’t trust you if you tell her anything besides what she already knows.  What do you do now?

What if… a patient is suffering from a variation of attention deficit disorder, where the problem isn’t that they can’t concentrate, but rather they have a psychological need for attention.  Having covid would be the best medicine for that condition.

I did note that Dr. Margot Witvliet isn’t a medical doctor, but is a political activist:

http://www.margotwitvliet.com/