[ExI] Worst ever

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 20:35:06 UTC 2020

And Hitler loved dogs.  So what?  If you put the good on one side of the
scale and the bad on the other, where does Genghis Khan's scale tilt?  I do
totally agree that probably no one in history was totally, 100% evil, and
that good and evil are nebulous concepts (that they are endlessly discussed
by philosophers is one clue) applied by people with their own biases.  But
I have no trouble calling one murderer evil (if it is established that he
did not act in self-defense, blah blah blah).

What if a person does something with totally pure intentions, but it turns
out badly (involuntary manslaughter, for one - "Just having a bit of a
fight, eh?")?  Furthermore, he does not follow up to see the consequences
because he has no empathy and hence doesn't care, and so continues to do
the same thing?   Like Anders, I am a consequentialist.  bill w

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 2:11 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <