[ExI] Free will was: Everett worlds

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 10:29:06 UTC 2020

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 3:29 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> And what if you had voices in your head saying things, urging you to do
> things that you would never even dream of, much less do?

I don't know specifically what I would do, but it would probably be a lot
of crazy stuff, possibly dangerous and criminally crazy stuff.

> If we truly had free will we could turn those voices off, eh?

We don't have total control of our emotional control panel, it will be
disastrous if we did, but even if we had the ability to turn the voices off
you couldn't do so if you didn't first decide to turn those voices off, and
if you decided to do so for a reason, if there was a cause for you to do it,
then you're a cuckoo clock. And if you decided to do so for no reason then
you're a roulette wheel.

John K Clark