[ExI] unjustified pessimism

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Aug 18 22:37:31 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
BillK via extropy-chat
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 3:27 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: BillK <pharos at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] unjustified pessimism

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 at 22:57, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Utterly contrary to easily-available reliable data, the unwashed masses
have expressed completely unfounded pessimism.

> These are recent results from Gallup polls:
> https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/308126/roundup-gallup-covid-cov
> erage.aspx
>
> This site very clearly and credibly refutes the notion that the covid
situation is getting worse:

> https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
>
> spike
>

>...When the public say the covid situation is getting worse they are not
just counting new cases or deaths.
They are looking at jobs lost, queues at food banks, businesses closed, mask
wearing, fear of going near other people, no recovery to what life used to
be like, etc. Many people are struggling to survive in this new environment.
No wonder they're getting depressed.

BillK

Thanks for that insight BillK.  I think you are right on, and a good reason
you are first round draft pick for the ExI Empathy Olympics team.

The poll didn't (and perhaps cannot) differentiate between the "covid
situation" and the "response to covid situation."