[ExI] Exi JKC Political Posting Final Warning

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 18:04:57 UTC 2020

<spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

snip

>>... OK, now what?

>>... The Patriot Act is still there.

>>...Spike, do you seriously think that getting rid of the Patriot Act would
not involve politics?... Keith

> Hmmm... Let's think about this.  We live in times where we have a legal
system which can indict a ham sandwich.  This is nothing new of course.  We
have a clear case where power was abused.  I fear the whole notion of
Patriot Act is too popular with the holders of power, regardless of party,
to let go of it.  We all know the threat of being prosecuted based on phony
evidence, and we know our own FBI was caught creating phony evidence.

> Every country in the world has a government which could threaten its own
people with phony evidence.  Ja I do think that topic transcends politics.
This is about corruption and power being handed to government in a crisis,
the eventual result of which was corruption.

I can imagine no subject more subject to politics than trying to
control corruption.  And talking about it would rapidly get down to
the physical level.  I think there may be a hardware solution to
corruption, but if I try to discuss it here, I see no possibility of
evading politics.

>From here it goes to stealth encryption, which has been on my mind for some
time.  We have the bandwidth, and the algorithms to do it seem simple
enough: send messages in the form of graphics with the messages coded
in the least significant bit of each pixel.

This was done over 20 years ago when Setgo was written by the famous
extropian Romano Machado.  I mentioned it here back in May.>

> Keith, I don't understand why these kinds of meta-discussions need to devolve into pointless political nonsense and quarrelling, I really don't.

The biggest meta-question around is why the US is taking a course
similar to that Germany took under Hitler.  How long could a
discussion of this go without mentioning the current (irrational)
POTUS?

Keith