[ExI] neuroscience questions

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 19:31:26 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 12:04 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Does anyone know why it is that pro athletes and, just for another
> example, classically trained musicians need to practice so much?
>
> My violinist friend said:  "If I don't practice today, I know it.  If I
> don't practice tomorrow, you'll know it.  If I don't practice the next day,
> everyone will know it."
>
> Could it be that rarely practiced skills representing certain brain areas
> get taken over by new concerns?  I have no clue.

Basically, yeah.  There's muscle memory involved as well, for both athletes
and, as you put it, classically trained musicians.

The same thing explains why, despite taking multiple classes in Spanish
back in high school, my current ability to speak and understand Spanish is
minimal.