[ExI] neuroscience questions

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 19:53:30 UTC 2020

Re high school  Spanish - yes, we forget but not permanently.  If you were
to take it up again, you would find that relearning it would go far faster
than learning it in the first place, showing that some memories are still
there.  (ex - rat study - teach the rat something - cut out a piece of his
brain - put him back in maze or whatever - if it took him 20 trials to
learn and 20 trials to relearn then no memories are there but you did not
affect his ability to learn; only his memory.  If 20 trials to learn and 10
to relearn, he is recalling 50%, and so on).

I have no doubt that my three years of high school Latin are in there
somewhere (though I am not going to relearn it - got online translators for
that).

Ergo - I am wondering if it is a physical thing, maybe housed in the
cerebellum and not a memory thing.  I can go back to my musical instruments
and remember every finger position etc. but my fingers are like they are
encased in glue.  Coordination and not memory?  Huh?

bill w

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 2:42 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <