[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 16:29:13 UTC 2020

Hi Ben,

“I expect it will be a description that isn't all that easy to decipher, as
well. It will necessarily relate to a large number of processes, and will
be different (possibly wildly different) in different brains, and likely
restricted to a single point in time.”

We are talking about completely different things.  You are talking about
information abstracted away from different qualities as they change over
time and between people.  I’m talking about the quality (process) that is
changing.  I’m asking, what is the color of this process, before it
changed, and how did this process change?  There is a necessary functional
cost to achieve this substrate independence.  If P1 is the process before
the change, and P2 is the objectively observable different process after
the change, you need two different dictionaries to get the same abstract
information from the different processes before and after the change.  Colors
are just colors.  Sure, a redness processes can change from redness to
greenness, and we can have different dictionaries to get the same 'red'
information.  The dictionary before the change defines the redness process
to be red, and after the change, the dictionary defines greenness to be red.
A redness quality just is, if it changes, it is an objectively observable
and subjectively experienceable different process, there are no
dictionaries required.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 6:45 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <