[ExI] Consciousness as 'brute fact' and meta-skepticism

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 00:20:28 UTC 2020

If you open up my skull and you open up someone else's skull and show me
pictures of the brains I won't be able to tell which one is mine.

That is to say--I know I have a brain.  I can go inside my head and poke it
if I really want.  I could do that for you, too.  I am conscious.  It is
natural to believe that other brains are conscious.  This is true enough to
me to be axiomatic.  There is no point in getting caught up with this.
Other brains are definitively conscious.  If they're not, then there is no
reason why mine would be either.