[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 19:21:34 UTC 2020

Thanks for the reply, Brent.  Let's focus on the color blind issue for a
moment as I think it will help me better understand your position to dig
down on it, if you have the patience :-).  We can get to the robots later.

You say that red/green color blind use the same quale to represent both red
and green, but there are different levels of severity of red/green color
blindness.  I know what red and green look like (at least to me), and can
differentiate the two for many shades, so I don't understand how I am using
the same quale to represent both red and green.  I can see that
strawberries are red and their leaves are green for example.

Let's propose another experiment on color blindness.  Suppose I really
could not distinguish red from green because of a severe issue with the
cones in my eyes.  Suppose also that I buy your argument that I only have
one quale for both red and green at this point (TBH, I still don't but
let's assume I do for this thought experiment).   Let's also suppose there
is a new genetic therapy for true R/G color blindess that restores the
normal pigmentation structure to my cones, and I can now distinguish all
shades of red and green.   What happens to the formerly single quale for
red/green and where does it happen in the brain, and why?

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 2:04 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <