[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 19:58:20 UTC 2020

You are not yet understanding the model, and only focusing on what doesn't
matter.

You are not distinguishing between reality and knowledge of reality.  This
is a necessary truth: "If you consciously know something, there must be
something that is that knowledge."  It is the qualities of this knowledge
of which we are talking, which you are ignoring.

Of the shades of red and green, which you can distinguish, you are not
blind to those colors.  In order to be able to consciously distinguish them
requires that you have conscious knowledge of those colors that are
different.  For the ones which you can't distinguish, you are blind to
those differences.  You are talking about the former, I'm talking
about the latter.  The reason you are blind to these differences in this
case, is because your brain uses the same physical quality to represent
both of those colors, making it impossible for you to be consciously aware
of their difference.  The qualities of knowledge has nothing to do with the
retina or the light, as all this knowledge can exist in a brain in a vat,
in a dark room, with no eyes, as long as you stimulate the optic nerve
identical to the way the eye would.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 12:32 PM Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat <