[ExI] Fwd: Mental Phenomena

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 19:10:52 UTC 2020

Right, but what you are telling people is that all we need to do to upload
and fix something, is to put it all in a computer that only has 1s and 0s.
What you are effectively telling people is that all we need to do is to
restore the ability of the robot to pick the strawberry.  Nothing else
matters.

But, when you go down that rat hole that ignores so many of the facts (beng
like Mary, not know the color all our abstract descriptions of physics are
describing)  You are telling the experimentalists you don’t need to step
out of the room, and find out what color things are.  You are telling them
it is perfectly OK to remain “qualia blind”.  You are telling them the only
thing that matters is restoring the ability to pick the strawberry.

In that world, as Chalmers has become famous for, there is a “hard” (as in
impossible) problem.  "fading dancing absent" qualia don't make any
sense.  There
is an “explanatory gap”.  And this huge “gap” is where all the religious
and sloppy crap emerges.  There is no experimental way to falsify any of
these crap theories.  Nobody can know what consciousness is, nobody can
know what uploading will be like.  They think that if they can pick the
strawberry, the upload will be a success, but they have this (very
justified) uncomfortable feeling that maybe this will not be the case,
because they realize that they don’t even really know if someone else is
conscious or not, or if anything else really exists or not.  They can't
really know if there is "The Island
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399201/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1>"  or if they are
more likely like Logan in "Logan's Run
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074812/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0>".

The only reason experimentalists are still so qualia blind (like Mary) is
precisely because of functionalist using their sloppy sleight of hand,
leading them away from what is important:  The real color of things.