[ExI] Which direction does the arrow of time point in Conway's Game of Life?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 20:41:01 UTC 2020

On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 at 19:33, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

> spike wrote   the universe has no center,
>
> Ignorant, idle, and possibly stupid question:  why not?  When the Big Bang occurred, didn't everything go out from there?  Has too much time passed such that we cannot reverse the motions of the galaxies and find out where that is?

Short answer -
If there is a centre of the universe then to find it you first have to
find the edges of the universe and then the centre would be a point
where the distances to the edges would be maximized. But we can only
see a tiny part of the universe and are unable to see the edges of the
universe so we would never be able to calculate the centre.

Current theory is that the universe is probably infinite - no edges. The Big
Bang wasn't like an explosion. It was an expansion that happened
everywhere at once.
Search on 'universe has no center' for many more detailed discussions.
e.g.
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/02/11/ask-ethan-is-there-a-center-of-the-universe/>

BillK