[ExI] Which direction does the arrow of time point in Conway's Game of Life?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jan 4 22:05:22 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] Which direction does the arrow of time point in Conway's Game of Life?

spike wrote   the universe has no center,

Ignorant, idle, and possibly stupid question:  why not?  When the Big Bang occurred, didn't everything go out from there?  Has too much time passed such that we cannot reverse the motions of the galaxies and find out where that is?

bill w

Eh, not exactly.  The inflationary model of the universe explains that any point in the universe is as valid a center as any other.  We cannot point our telescopes one way and see fewer galaxies than we do in the opposite direction.  Anywhere you go in the universe, the same observation: the density is uniform in all directions.

By current cosmology, there is no center to the universe.

Granted that concept is hard to wrap one’s head around.  We tend to think of it as a big firecracker.  But there is always a speck of something on the outside of a firecracker that moves the most, and it can look back and see most of the rest of the explosion.  The firecracker analogy breaks down however if one recognizes that everything started at exactly the same point, whereas the firecracker bits do not.

It’s weird, but that’s what the equations are telling us.