[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 02:28:09 UTC 2020

Hi Ben,

OK, thanks for that.  That helps me understand your thinking.

Let me further clarify what I am asking.
Let's say you are looking at a strawberry.
We record the signals coming from the retina, through the optic nerve, of
that strawberry.
Now we surgically remove your eyes, put you on a room with no light, and
send the identical recorded signal down the optic nerve.

Except for one pixel, on the surface of the strawberry difference.
This one pixel is now changing from red to green, in this signal. As
illustrated in this video:
https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness/

What is it, in your brain, that is this one pixel changing from red to
green?

It's also important to distinguish between compsite qualitative experiences
being different from elemental qualities from which  composite experiences
are composed.

When we experience red, there are lots of other physical memories and
things computationally bound to that elemental redness, just as you pointed
out. When many people think of Qualia, they think of everything but the
elemental redness quality.  They think that is a property of the
strawberry.  But of course, in this case, there is no strawberry or light,
falsifying that belief.

So ignoring all the other physical knowledge that comes to mind, when that
one pixel of awareness changes from red to green, what physical thing is it
that changes, for only the elemental part of that one pixel?

Also, even if this physical change in your pixel of awareness was a single
neuron switching between firing with glutamate and glycene, you would not
be aware of all the other physical redness in the world because it is not
computationally bound to the composit experience that is your consciousness.

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020, 8:03 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <