[ExI] new tv

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 18:45:15 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 6:23 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Just how much resolution can we really see on TV?  How much just looking
> around the room?  What's the resolution of life?  (well, ok, death but
> that's not the question)  At what point does an increase in resolution not
> result in a sharper picture to us?

The eye can distinguish about 60 pixels per degree, so for a TV it depends
upon how close you are to the screen.

>   Eagles can tell at higher resolutions than we can.. It's probably a
> function of the density or retinal cells if I had to guess.

Yes, specifically those in the fovea.

For TVs, though, the real limitation isn't so much the TV as the content.
Little is 4k and less is 8k. Non-interlaced 1080 is still pretty rare.

-Dave