[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 04:58:05 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 15:26, Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> Hi Ben,
>
> On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 3:42 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <
>
>> Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  >When we experience red, there are lots of other physical memories and
>> things computationally bound to that elemental redness, just as you
>> pointed out.
>>
>> No, I didn't. I was pointing out that 'elemental redness' literally
>> doesn't mean anything, as far as I can see. You seem to think it does.
>> Please explain that. Just that, without any of the other stuff. What do
>> you mean by 'elemental redness'?
>>

> When you experience a redness quality, when you are dreaming or not, there
> must be something, that is that redness quality you are experiencing.  My
> redness could be like your greenness, either naturally, or engineered to be
> that way.  You claim glutamate could function identically to glycine, but
> that physical difference is the point.  If you engineered someone to be
> identical to you, except that person swapped all redness/glutamate with
> glycine/grenness, and visa versa, you would function identically, but
> qualitatively your knowledge would be physically different.  My redness
> would be like your grenness.

If you swapped glutamate for glycine and glutamate receptors for glycine
receptors, then the redness and greenness qualia would remain the same, as
I thought you (almost) agreed in an earlier discussion with me. This is
assuming that the neurotransmitters and receptors only do what we know them
to do; if glutamate has other effects, like its breakdown products
stimulating other neurons, then there might be a difference.

Stathis Papaioannou