[ExI] Traveller: A Classic Science Fiction Simulator

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 02:51:49 UTC 2020

After many revisions, Traveller is starting to sell much better under its
current publisher, Mongoose Publishing.  Death during character generation
is optional (if you would have died, by default you pile up medical debt
instead), and then only if you roll really poorly (much moreso than earlier
versions).

I've written a little bit of the current edition - just some supplemental
stuff.  The bit I'm proudest of is the writeup of ship's cats - genetically
engineered felines that are safe to have on a spaceship (won't beg to go
into vacuum, inherently housebroken, et cetera) - which specifies in its
mechanics that, should you be using the optional Sanity rules (which can
get a bit Call of Cthulhu like), a ship's cat can help restore Sanity,
which was left a bit vague before.  Even the most grimdark,
rules-as-written campaign using this system now has a way to make minds
whole again.

Should anyone be interested in playing Traveller, I have (just today)
finished the (non-Traveller) campaign I've been running since June 2016,
and am now considering what to run next.  I suspect it won't start until
February or March, will be run by text chat (no voice) over Discord, and
will probably run 11 AM to 2 PM Pacific most Saturdays.  I have two ideas,
both in the Traveller 'verse: https://pastebin.com/FD7Fxis5 and
https://pastebin.com/k2B2APZ6 .  If interested, please contact me offlist
and state which idea appeals more or if both appeal.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 6:22 PM John Grigg via extropy-chat <