[ExI] Mental Phenomena

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 18:20:25 UTC 2020

We are still pretty much in the dark about what neurons can do, as
evidenced by the latest data.  Now add to that the functions of the glial
cells, of which we are almost entirely ignorant (I have read two books on
them - have you?), the fact that dendrites may be able to produce more than
one chemical, the fact that a neuron can be excitatory or inhibitory, the
fact that the brain and the neurons in the gut interact in ways that we
have no idea about currently, the influence, again largely unknown, of
endocrine hormones,and that's just a few things I know.   How complicated
is that?  Way way way more than we can even guess at now.  Just sitting
here my neurons are firing at rates of quadrillions of times a second, as
discussed several years ago here.

What I am hearing from some people seems to me to be underestimating the
complexity of the brain.  I think we are hundreds of years from
understanding it to some extent- never completely.  It may be like that
Einstein quote, which I do not recall, but something to the effect that the
universe may be more complex that we CAN know.

If that doesn't get you off my back, well, just leave me alone with my
beliefs.

bill w

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 12:08 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <