[ExI] significant figures

Kunvar Thaman f20170964 at pilani.bits-pilani.ac.in
Tue Jan 21 18:12:08 UTC 2020

> But they take their orders from elected, corrupt fools who keep getting
elected despite the peoples' disgust with them
1. Aren't those people getting elected because the majority of people see
them as competent leaders and elect them? Then it's essentially the public
which is the fool, not those political leaders.

2. Where do these corrupt fools come from? They also came out of the system
like us, went to similar schools, etc. We're in a system which promotes and
selects for people who are good speakers and people pleasers, who may not
efficient or smart people.

3. What can the STEM people do (I'm curious because I'm one of them) - not
follow the law? There have already been pretty good solutions to most world
problems which haven't been realized in practice. Small steps over time
lead to huge changes.

4.Sure there have been engineers in Congress but the elections don't select
for that. Public elections where common people vote are inherently going to
promote people who can influence other better than their competition.

5. There's plenty of stupidity and ignorance in STEM people as well.
There's a large percentage of people who got in to this field only for
financial gains ( well, these jobs *do* pay well) and not internal interest
or desire.

&Kunvar

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 11:28 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <