[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 17:15:52 UTC 2020

Take a case where a person suffered from achromatopsia from birth.  He
would be undergoing a procedure, whose goal was to cure him.  The first
thing this person experiences, early in the procedure, is a patch of
color.  The first time he experienced it he won’t know its name.  He will
have no memories of such, and every other piece of information that you and
I could have bound to make compost versions of that color, didn’t exist for
this person at first.  Just the elemental color, nothing else.  So, since
the first time he experienced this color it was in isolation, would you say
this first experience of that color, in isolation, didn’t exist, or are you
saying it would exist, it just wouldn’t have any meaning, making that
color, in isolation, nothing but a nonsense experience?

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 6:03 AM John Clark via extropy-chat <