[ExI] Mental Phenomena

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 13:01:36 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 12:04 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> *You *[Brent Allsop] *ask that we substitute whatever we think is
> responsible for 'elemental redness' for glutamate, but the whole point of
> my arguments is that there is no such thing as 'elemental' qualia at all.
> It's a nonsense concept.*

I could not agree more! You can't talk about the red qualia in isolation to
everything else because meaning needs contrast. If from the day you were
born your visual field consisted of nothing but a uniform wall of red you'd
be as blind as a bat and know nothing about the red qualia. And if
everything that existed and everything that didn't exist had the Klogknee
property then the word " Klogknee" would be a nonsense word that has no
meaning.

John K Clark