[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 18:44:29 UTC 2020

Hi John,

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 11:07 AM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 9:18 AM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <
>
>> Take a case where a person suffered from achromatopsia from birth.  He
>> would be undergoing a procedure, whose goal was to cure him.  The first
>> thing this person experiences, early in the procedure, is a patch of
>> color.  The first time he experienced it he won’t know its name.  He will
>> have no memories of such, and every other piece of information that you and
>> I could have bound to make compost versions of that color, didn’t exist for
>> this person at first.  Just the elemental color, nothing else.  So, since
>> the first time he experienced this color it was in isolation, would you say
>> this first experience of that color, in isolation, didn’t exist, or are you
>> saying it would exist, it just wouldn’t have any meaning, making that
>> color, in isolation, nothing but a nonsense experience?
>>

> The latter.  It would exist, but would be nonsense until it was repeated.

This physical quality that exists, which is just nonsense when isolated, is
elemental qualia.
Once it has meaning and lots of other things bound to it, it is a composite
qualia, of which one of the constituents is elemental redness.  It remains
a fact that you could replace only the elemental redness, in your composite
experience, so that all your meaning and names are now bound to an
elemental grenness.  The two composite qualia being identical in name,
meaning... except for the alemental redness being swapped with grenness.
That is what a qualia invert, from you, from birth would be.  And that's
what we mean when we say: "My redness is like your greenness"  We'not
talking the entire composite redness and meaning, Just the elemental
redness and meaning.  All the other meanings, names and such remain the
same.