[ExI] you'll never see this again

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 20:55:08 UTC 2020

On Jul 3, 2020, at 11:08 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> > On Behalf Of John Clark via extropy-chat
> Subject: Re: [ExI] you'll never see this again
>
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 10:45 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> >…And for similar reasons Franklin Roosevelt said in a famous speech:
>
> "Yesterday, December 7th, 1941 -- a date which will live in infamy -- the Territory of Hawaii was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan. I'm sure I speak for all Americans when I say I wish the Hawaiians the very best of luck in the difficult struggle they have before them."
>
> Ja.  Do you see the difference between a military attack by a foreign military and an attack by a virus?  POTUS commands the military.  POTUS can do that legally, but he military cannot shoot  a virus.  To do what it sounds like you expect would require POTUS to assume dictatorial powers, which POTUS cannot legally do.

Actually, war was declared after FDR gave his famous speech, so we don’t really have a case of the executive going it alone here. It’s believe the original intent of the Framers was that the president would only direct military once the Congress authorized this — not that a president would simply react without congressional approval.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst