[ExI] you'll never see this again

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jul 4 14:18:37 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] you'll never see this again

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 8:33 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> I don't necessarily disagree with John either on some things. I definitely disagree on the value of the US system: in my view it's great. It prevents totalitarianism.

>…But apparently it can't prevent mass death from COVID-19 virus attacks as other countries can…

Some jurisdictions in the USA did stop the virus better than any others.  The world’s top three are Alaska, Wyoming and Montana.  Totalitarianism is a disease at the federal level, but disease control is done at the state level.

New Jersey and New York were the two worst jurisdictions in the world.  Those two were a catastrophe.  Connecticut and Massachusetts were both very bad.  Governments cannot stop covid.  No country or jurisdiction stopped it.

>…It can't prevent spending far FAR more per capita on healthcare than any other country on this planet but nevertheless only having the 38th longest life expectancy…

Keep in mind that those stats don’t filter out the young gangsters who shoot each other regularly, which runs up medical costs and lowers life expectancy.  If you isolate that factor everywhere (because intentional harm messes up statistics) then the life expectancy is comparable here to other nations.

Take into account also that in most countries, students go from high school into medical school.  In the US they usually must go to college first, which runs up costs.  Our drug qualification trials are more expensive than other countries, which is why many other countries just wait and buy whatever makes it through that process.

If we dismantle that system entirely, we could save a lot of money.  If we relax standards for licensing, we could save money.  Is anyone here advocating these methods?

>…It can't prevent our "representative democracy" giving some people 66.7 times more representation than other people….

This one always gets me.  It isn’t people from Wyoming that have such influence (for that state is as free as California, New York and Texas (the individual voter in Wyoming is nearly irrelevant.))  The voters that really matter are those from Ohio, Pennsylvania and especially purple swinger Florida (note 2000 experience where a few hundred carried the day.)

The beauty of the representative republic model is that it protects minorities against majority rule.  Minorities deserve protection from majority rule, which is fascism.  All minorities deserve protection.

Regarding Wyoming: they are smarter on average than we are.  Have you seen their state’s average SAT scores?  The highest ranking states in the nation every year tend to be Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Montana, and ironically they spend way less per capita for education than the lowest average states.  Have some respect.  Wyoming residents are highly intelligent on average.

Note every American is free to move to Wyoming if we wish.  There’s plenty of room out there.  You get to become 66 votes, and be free at the same time.  Such a deal!

>…In the final analysis the only rationale to defend any of this is always just a variation of the "that's the way it's always been done" theme…

On the contrary.  Had it never been done this way, it would still be the most ideal way to run a coalition of states.  If we were inventing it now, it would be the best way.  The notion of distributed power, with some of it resting at the federal level is ideal: it protects minority views in less populated places while reducing dependence on government.

>… we can't change the way things are done because that's the way things have always been done…

We can change it: that would require overthrowing the constitution of course, which not many want to do.  There is beauty in the design of that government structure.

> It prevents totalitarianism.

>…In the country's entire 250 year history I don't think it's ever been closer to complete totalitarianism 1984 style than it is right now….

Well there ya go.  Aren’t you glad we have a constitution?  So am I.

>…And today POTUS is at Mount Rushmore attending a virus spewing festival dry humping the American flag and setting off fireworks as his country burns…John K Clark

“Bah!  Humbug on Independence Day,” he scowled as the children fled.

Eh, it’s a once-a-year celebration for those of us who feel the burn, those who love fireworks, picnics, car races and parades, who celebrate the blessings of liberty, who feel joy in just being alive in our glorious times!  Temporarily set aside the bitterness, feel the joy, share in the warm glow of fellowship, at least temporarily, before again embracing the bitter acrimony.

Independence Day is a midsummer festival where the people young and old, form lasting happy memories of patriotism and love of country, a time of thanksgiving even in a season of distress.  Endure it John.  This too shall pass, life goes on.  We know life is not fair, but life is good, and good is better than fair.  Life… is…  gooooooood…