[ExI] Mississippi flag

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jul 4 20:41:05 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] Mississippi flag

>…Spike, I was living in the metropolis of Cheneyville. LA. pop. 700 or so when an election for U. S. Representative was being held in that parish…. but it was the way things were done in the South in the 30s through the 50s.  I  wonder what percentage of the Blacks' votes were bought. I am guessing very high.  There is talk of campaign irregularities nowadays, but they couldn't hold a candle to those in the past.

bill w

BillW, this video is well worth the 13 minutes I invested in it.  My bride and I visited Athens TN on the way to Thorn Hill TN where her great^2 grandmother is buried.  I remember seeing the historical marker for the 1946 event:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=video+battle+of+athens+tn <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=video+battle+of+athens+tn&t=chromentp&atb=v135-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DU5ut6yPrObw> &t=chromentp&atb=v135-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DU5ut6yPrObw

Is that a cool story or what?  The good guys won:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)