[ExI] Famous Scientists saying Racist Things

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 15:56:57 UTC 2020

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 16:09, Robert G. Kennedy III, PE via
extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> It's a Russian Jewish thing from the Tsarist era.  With a uppercase "P".
>   Related to persecution / pogroms.  If your question wasn't rhetorical,
> maybe you don't want to know?  If you do want to, look up "Pale of
> Settlement" established by Catherine the "Great".
>
> You'd be surprised/depressed at how many common expressions have their
> roots in racism, repression and persecution.  I never use "beyond the
> pale" for this reason.  To avoid such mistakes and short circuits in
> thinking, I am always guided by George Orwell's wonderful essay,
> "Politics and the English Language".
>
> K3
---------------------------------------

That's correct, but the origins of the term Pale were centuries before
Catherine the Great, empress of Russia (1762–96).
<https://www.britannica.com/topic/pale-restricted-area>
Quote:
Other examples of pales include the English pales in Ireland and
France. “The Pale” in Ireland (so named after the late 14th century)
was established at the time of Henry II’s expedition (1171–72) and
consisted of the territories conquered by England, where English
settlements and rule were most secure. The pale existed until the
entire area was subjugated under Elizabeth I (reigned 1558–1603). Its
area, which varied considerably depending upon the strength of the
English authorities, included parts of the modern counties of Dublin,
Louth, Meath, and Kildare. The Calais pale in northern France
(1347–1558) had a perimeter extending from Gravelines in the east to
Wissant in the west and enclosing a hinterland 6–9 miles (10–14 km)
deep.