[ExI] ep thought experiment

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 12:27:51 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 10:56 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Some of you regard emotion as a stumbling block to reason

In general emotion is not necessarily a stumbling block to reason, in fact
I think a certain amount of emotion is needed for high level reasoning
because you need it to decide what to reason about. However in some
circumstances emotion can be a severe handicap to effective reasoning, such
as when greater emotional attachment is placed on political ideology than
on the scientific method.

> *We have little emotional control even as adults.*

Yes but imagine how things would be if they were different and we had
instant conscious control over all our emotions. I think that might
actually be possible in the next few decades and it could be the
explanation for the Fermi paradox.

 John K Clark