[ExI] overlooking

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jul 10 14:35:36 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] overlooking

To me it's not overlooking in how we judge our Founders.  It is accepting the bad with the good.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Cliche' but true.

bill w

Ja.  Otherwise the farther back in time you go, the worse they get.  Our perception of right and wrong changes over time for perfectly understandable reasons: we get to see how things turned out.  The old timers were guessing at how things would turn out.  We read about it.  The old ones didn’t even have internet.

The founding fathers recognized that the continent could not sustain a prolonged armed struggle between states, or a system whereby every state was a completely independent nation (which is why they didn’t allow the Green Mountain Boys to form Vermont into its own country or the Kanawhans to form an independent nation.)  The founders had to accept compromises in order to get the states to work together.