[ExI] hero worship

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jul 10 18:50:09 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
Keith Henson via extropy-chat

> Think about the American children who have come of age in the last few
years: they will develop attitudes which will last a lifetime.  They will
never look to POTUS, probably no entertainers nor sports stars as heroes.

How do you stretch this to entertainers and sports stars?

Keith

Eh, wishful thinking perhaps Keith.  I fear for us as a society when we look
for guidance to people whose talent is in reading scripts that others wrote.

Thespians do not like to be typecast if they can avoid it.  For that reason
they will seek out bad guy roles wherever they can get them.  Classic
example Julie Andrews: she really wanted that role in the dark Victor
Victoria.  I want to always remember her as Sister Maria or Mary Poppins or
Jerusha Bromley.

Consider a very talented actor, Peter Sellers.  He could be anybody.  He did
Dr. Strangelove who was based on Edward Teller.  After having met the
scientist, I realized that Peter Sellers could do Teller better than Teller
could do himself.  I found an video years ago with Sellers in which he
admitted to the host with regard to his lackluster boring interview that he
really needed a script.  Otherwise he didn't know who he was supposed to be.
There was no Sellers inside him.

I think of that comment every time I see an entertainer expounding on
matters outside their expertise: as a group they have no special insights,
but it is slightly worse than that.  Entertainers of all kinds, sports
people, rock stars, actors and so forth have insights inferior in a way to
the masses.   Entertainers live in a distorted world but the masses choose
leaders and we live in the real world.