[ExI] hero worship

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 22:09:35 UTC 2020

Along the same line:  the local newspaper has, every single day, a big
write-up on the sports pages (and even a hint of it at the top of the first
page) of a high school player, invariably Black.  Sometimes a college
player.

I have wondered what incredible attention like this does to a youngster?
If good, then he works harder and harder to justify his prominence.  If
bad, he begins to act entitled.  I have no data, so I can't say what
usually happens.  But certainly all of them become big men in the
neighborhood;  some will make under the table deals with shady sports
agents and often get caught.

Some of them may be potential Rhodes scholars for all I know.  I suspect
not.

So we should have a new saying, in light of what we know about brain
development, moral development and the sort of world youngsters go
through:  don't trust anyone under 25.

bill w

bill w

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 4:07 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <