[ExI] overlooking

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Jul 11 07:41:52 UTC 2020

On 10/07/2020 17:38, billw wrote:
> I will reprise my opinion of Odysseus here:  I think that he was a
> thug and I don't care if the people at the time thought he was a hero.
>
> Rape, pillage, murder are just not going down with me as acceptable no
> matter what.  bill w

and:

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The point of the phrase is that we want to throw out the bathwater, but
keep the baby, not ditch both or keep both. In other words, it's not
black & white. Nothing, and nobody is.

I think the term 'hero-worship' is not very useful, because it casts the
'hero' in black/white terms. Ditto 'role-model'. I have my own heroes,
but I don't worship them. One of them was almost certainly an arrogant
bastard who I would have taken an instant dislike to if I met him in
real life. He's still one of my 'heroes', for other reasons.

The key to all this is eclecticism, I think. Often cast as a bad thing,
I have always regarded it as a very good thing.

It's perfectiy possible to abhor some of the things your heroes did,
while admiring, and wanting to emulate, other things they did.

--
Ben Zaiboc